This week, students have been writing Explanation texts. It has been great to see students using important features such as:
- Introduction – consisting of four magic sentences:
- Define – explain what the topic is
- Same or Different – is the topic the same or different to other things
- Global – is it found around the globe or just in one location
- Linking sentence – lets the reader know a little bit about what the writing piece will be about
- Time connectives, to help write things in chronological order
- Editing to improve our writing
Have a look at some of our excellent Explanation pieces on ‘The Life-cycle of a Frog’.
During inquiry, we have been looking at how our local community has changed over time. We have also looked at how the names of our house colours at Laburnum; Roberts, Streeton, McCubbin and Conder are named after famous artists well known for painting the local area many years ago.
- Please continue to bring any plastic bottle caps to help us with our up-and-coming Science ‘motion – push and pull’ unit
- Story Dogs fundraiser – Wednesday 1st November 1.50pm-3.30pm
- Students need to bring along a gold coin donation to help support this great cause and keep the program operating at Laburnum PS – we have Louise and her dog Sadie and Marg and her dog Voss who come in a read each week with some Year 2 students
- Students can bring in a soft toy and an optional savoury snack while we watch a G rated dog movie
- Hands-on Science – Week 5 sessions (either on Wednesday 8th Nov or Thursday 9th Nov depending on your child’s grade)
Year 2 Team