Our Year 2 Blog

Term 4 Weeks 6 and 7

| 0 comments

The Year 2s have been learning to write reviews, discussions and have had time to do some free choice writing. Here are some of our pieces. We hope you enjoy reading them.
Storm.
A description by Zoe.
I heard a pitter patter on the window and then it got louder and stronger. I suddenly heard booming thunder and saw lightning striking down. The lights turned ON, OFF, ON, OFF. Suddenly the power went out. I hid under my blankets. My heart was beating as fast as a cheetah. I gripped onto my teddy bear. I was squeezing him so tight, he almost broke. I kept saying to myself “It’s ok! It’s ok!” But every second I got more scared.

Fireflies
A review by Harriet.
Fireflies is a fiction picture story book written and illustrated by Julie Brinckloe. This book is different to other books that I’ve read because the illustrations were grey and interesting. People all around the world can read and enjoy this book. This is a great book and everyone should read it.
This book is a book about a boy who is scared to go outside until he saw some fireflies. He was excited. Mum wants the boy to finish his dinner so he did. He ran downstairs and grabbed a jar, he ran outside and slammed the door behind him. The boy caught hundreds.
Later that night, the boy kept the jar on his bedside table. The fireflies were starting to die. What will happen next? Read Fireflies to find out!
I really enjoyed Fireflies because I think the illustrations are fascinating because the people are grey and the fireflies are really bright yellow. I like this book because it had a good and happy ending. I think the book Fireflies is a great book and Julie Brinckloe is a very good author.
I recommend this book to people who like insects and the author Julie Brinckloe. I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

Mazie
A review by Lucy.
Hey guess what I just discovered? A new company named Mazie. They made a new toy!
I tried it out a few minutes ago and it was a bubbly, sparkly and rainbow toy. I rolled it along my arm. It tickled me.
I liked it because it shimmered and tickled me. It was better than a thousand fireflies in the sky shimmering. It was incredible.
I think any people will like it because it’s tickly and shimmers.

Is the beach the best place for a holiday?
A discussion by Alice.
The beach is a popular place for a summer holiday. Anyone can go to the beach for a holiday. People surf, play in the water, build sandcastles, lie on a towel or read a book. It is the preferred destination for many people but others disagree.
Divisha thinks that the beach is the best place for a holiday because you can swim, splash and play in the sand. Salt water is good for healing any stings or bites. It stings but it works! You can build sandcastles and it is a great place to catch up with other people.
On the other hand Lisa thinks that the beach is not the best place to go for a holiday because you can only go there when it is warm and you can go to other places any time of the year, in any weather. When it is cold and windy the sand hits against your legs and it really hurts and when it is cold the water is freezing.
I know the beach is a great place for a summer holiday but I think that there are many other places you can go around the world and meet new people and catch up with friends and family in other places.
Alice.
The Witches
A review by Owen.
The Witches is an intense and frightening story that is written by the well know author Roald Dahl.
The Witches is a story about a boy who encounters some Witches and the lead Witch turns him into a mouse. In his mouse form he tries to steal the formula.
My favourite part was when the mouse was sent down in a sock. The thing I did not like was that it was very, very creepy and the lead Witch was scary. Road Dahl uses very interesting words in this book and it makes you want to read the book more.
I recommend this book to 10 year olds and up. I give it 2½ stars out of 5.
Elephants make good pets.
A discussion by Jayden.
Elephants are wild animals. They are really big. Some people believe they will make good pets, other people think it is not a good idea.
Some people believe having elephants is a good idea because you can get a ride to school. You can even have a water fight. You will definitely win.
Other people think it is not a good idea because it takes a long time to wash and break everything. Where will it sleep?
Elephants are a lot of work. Therefore I think that elephants are not suited as good pets.